Looking for a unique, inexpensive, and easy way to store your makeup brushes and portable enough to bring them with you anywhere you go? Kudos to the crafty girly genius who thought of this DIY sushi mat makeup brush roll. Honestly, we wouldn’t have thought of it even if a sushi mat hit us on the head!
- sushi mat
- elastic band
- Lay out all your brushes across the length of your sushi mat to determine the sizes of the band pockets you need to allocate and to maximize available mat space. Also decide on the layout you want–like alternating thick and thin brushes, in order of shorter to longer brushes, etc.
- When you’re done with the layout, it’s time to start weaving. Weave the elastic band through the first two sticks of the sushi mat. Sew them together just enough to hold the band in place.
- Weave the rest of the elastic band across the mat, creating both big and small pockets, depending on the size of your makeup brushes and the layout you decided earlier. Leave 1-2 sticks in between pockets to allow for spaces in between brushes.
- When reaching the end, weave the band through the last two sticks twice. You can either choose to sew the ends to make the elastic band pocket fixed, or leave it unfixed so you can remove and readjust the elastic band pocket whenever you want. It all depends on personal preference. Leaving it loose doesn’t mean it unravels, because the rough texture of the elastic band is enough to keep it in place.
- Roll the sushi mat up. You can just tie it with a ribbon and leave it at that, but if you want to secure the ribbon in place and not misplace it, sew it in. Sew one ribbon close to the end of the sushi mat. Make a rough measure of the ribbon length by twirling it around the mat, leaving enough excess to tie a ribbon. Sew another piece of ribbon (slightly shorter in length than the first ribbon) beside the first ribbon. Tie the ribbons together on the rolled up sushi mat.
And that’s a wrap!
Idea from: Shutzlife